Those who read Mizz Snarkity Snark know perfectly well that she is an apolitical creature far more prone to expensive mornings at the hair salon getting her porcelain nails done and her hair permed than lurking around campaign headquarters looking for opportunities to staple reports and get coffee.
In fact, MSS is pretty dang disgusted with almost every presidency since Give ‘Em Hell Harry the Haberdasher Truman. Including the upcoming one, no matter who he is.
Harry won by being unpopular and determined to tell the American populace the truth, no matter how ouchy and uncomfortable and not-very-satiny things got.
Incarnations of Harry Truman, take note. The task of being elected is vastly more difficult with these pesky Interwebs spreading news faster than the speed of a bad case of diarrhea at a rubber chicken banquet. So a few rules apply:
- Tell the truth. All of it. No matter how bad the taste.
- Don’t pretend to know what you don’t.
- Own and wear a good hat.
- If there’s a war, be sorry we have to be there, not thrilled to deploy the War Machine.
- Pray over every coffin of every man and every woman who can’t come back alive.
- Don’t make promises you can’t keep.
- Don’t make promises your successor can’t keep.
- Visit people for coffee, and listen to them for longer than you talk to them.
- Don’t blame the previous administration.
- Make sure Congress knows they’re not being ignored.
- Make sure Congress knows they need to work across the aisle no matter what.
- Follow through.
- Above all, be home for dinner every night and give thanks.
Small rules, but nobody every got in trouble for following them.
Much love to each of you. Vote like you mean it.